Monday, May 24, 2010

A Natural History of the Pancake Badger

I like to read, quite a lot actually--Beneath Ceaseless Skies and Strange Horizons in particular--but this week I found a story in a different zine and I liked the story quite a bit. It is called A Natural History of the Pancake Badger and is published in The Town Drunk.

I can't really say much more about The Town Drunk since I haven't read any of their other stories, but if the others are like this one, I'll probably have to stop by more often. I thought it was funny, charming, and really intense (considering the reference to "pancake" and "badger"--though badgers are rather intense little animals).

I don't want to give away too much, but I liked the futuristic attributes of the story--though the humor and the weirdness are what really drew me in. Matthew Bey is a talented writer and I ended up finding this charming little story by wandering off to his blog from The Secret of Pogopolis which was published in Beneath Ceaseless Skies. It was also a good story though I admit I liked the pancake badger better. Who doesn't love pancakes and badgers--well not Mike Spiekle, but you'll have to read the story to find out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment